Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jalapeno Cornbread

In honor of Lent, and my giving up bread AND bread-like items, I wanted to feature a recipe that I will be doing without these next forty days. I have not always liked cornbread. In fact, I really had to grow to even tolerate it; but I finally figured out what my problem was with the southern staple-- lack of texture! I mean sure, you could call dry and brittle a texture, but so is winter skin… not so appealing. Here’s a zesty variation on cornbread that even I enjoy!


2 Boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix, prepared
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels

PREHEAT oven to 375. Place liners in your muffin cups, or brush with some extra butter. Set aside.

WHISK together your Jiffy cornbread batter with the jalapenos and corn until evenly combined.

SCOOP the batter into your muffin tins and bake for about 25 minutes (or until your cake tester comes out clean).

LET the muffins cool, then turn out into a basket to keep warm. Serve right away with butter, salsa, and sour cream. Yee-haw!

NOTE: Makes 12 Muffins

No comments: