Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Animal Hoarding


From the office window I can hear fire trucks sounding off and the morning mail being delivered. While these might seem like terribly mundane tasks, they’re two things that desperately make me miss my dogs. (They’re vacationing at the beach with my parents this week) Close friends say that I have an animal hoarding problem, all in good fun I assure you—I’m nowhere near Animal Planet worthy… But in my animal career, I have adopted 4 lonely souls. The first dog, a German sheppard/German shorthaired pointer/ Collie mix came via Craig’s List from Whiteville, NC. The next two, a white and a cafĂ© au lait standard poodle, from the Horry County Animal Shelter (which is a total misnomer since it is a kill zone); and the third from the Spartanburg Humane Society. The third isn’t a dog at all, but a 21lb tabby cat. Joe might as well be a canine because he comes when he’s called, and runs to the door when you come home. He also likes to have his ears and belly rubbed.

Animal Treats
2 cups Unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/4 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
4 tbsp Water
1 tbsp fish oil

PREHEAT oven to 400°F.

COMBINE flour, cheese, garlic and vegetable oil in container of food processor. Cover, whirl until mixture is consistency of coarse meal. With machine running, slowly add water until mixture forms a ball.

DIVIDE dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll out each piece to 1/2″ thickness. Cut out dog bones and transfer to ungreased cookie sheet.

BAKE for 10 to 15 minutes or until bottom of cookies are lightly browned.

CAREFULLY transfer bones to wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate in airtight container

No comments: