Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pistachio Cake


Have you ever have that urge to ‘do’? Half way through the work day I realized that I needed to make, and freeze, my 8” 2 layer cake for class on Monday. Well it seems once you get baking and powdered sugar is floating through the kitchen air-- you might as well make something else. I found this recipe on another blog that I read, Puttin on the GRITS, and adapted it a little. It’s a common recipe and I suspect you could change the flavoring by substituting a different pudding mix. (I might try Coconut or Pumpkin Spice next!) But for now, here is the recipe to a girl’s night in. Thanks for the company, the wine, and the laughs!

Pistachio Cake

1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hine’s Golden Butter)
1 small box of pistachio pudding
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tbsp almond extract

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.

MIX all ingredients and pour into a greased Bundt pan.(DO NOT mix cake batter according to recipe on box)

BAKE for 45-50 minutes or until the edges have firmly pulled away from the sides.

COOL for about 10 min. If you are using a regular, non scalloped edge, Bundt pan-- run a knife around the edges gently to loosen the cake.

PLACE your plate or cake stand on top of the pan and flip it over. It should come out easily.

For a Glaze:

MIX ¼ cup powdered sugar and a splash of water or milk. If you want the cake to sit out at room temperature, use water; otherwise the glaze will need to be refrigerated.

OR Just dust with powdered sugar for a lighter presentation. (I might recommend this. The cake is lovely enough plain)

No comments: