Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Life's Lemons


If necessity is the mother of invention, then desperation must be the mother of creativity! As my closest friends and family know, my mother and I are fools for packaging. PR and Marketing departments everywhere clearly have our numbers! One of my college-esque habits that remain when I go home is the opening of the pantry cupboards in search for gold. This last pan mining experience led me to a packet of egg drop soup mix. Now, I really have to give my mother credit for this creative recipe, which is a variation and substitution for Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. Minus some key ingredients…

Lemon Egg Drop Soup, No Egg
1 packet of egg drop soup mix
4 cans of low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup rice
1 cup spinach
1 lemon

BRING chicken broth to a boil and add rice. White rice usually takes 25 to 30 minutes to cook but in this case reduce heat and simmer until desired tenderness.

STIR in dry packet of egg drop soup. (At the time we had to eggs, which means this serves as all the seasoning)

STIR in the juice of 1 lemon, and ADD spinach. Soup will be done with the spinach is just wilted and still very green.

No comments: