Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pathetic Fallacy


Much to my surprise and to my previously frustrated teacher I’m sure, Mrs. Beattie, I have a few memories from my 3rd form English class. This one is a lesson on Pathetic Fallacy and as it is so often noted, “it was a dark and stormy night…” From what I can recall, the author uses this literary tool to have the weather reflect the mood and tone of the characters; whether this be their emanate danger or their new feeling of loss or heartache. As this teaching floats amidst lessons I once learned or thought I learned, I laugh every time I am grumpy and it begins to rain.
Though our emotions cannot control the weather it often times quite certainly seems to be the case. No sooner than saying goodbye to the final two of our companions, and reading my uncle’s e-mail from home which states, “And very few people know that the country was named in the late 1960s by John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival: I wanna know, have you ever seen Bahrain.”—it began to rain.
As all the tour guides and booklets boast, it doesn’t rain in Bahrain! They claim that there are over 350 days of the year in which the sun shines on the happy lot; but not today. For apparently today is a day of mourning as Andy and I are off to the Seef mall, alone, the only two left on our quickly ending journey.

No comments: